Here's a short list of reasons why nonprofits should focus more on making making their websites mobile friendly and less on App development.
- Creating and Maintaining an App is expensive.
- Making your existing website mobile-friendly is easy and not so expensive.
- The App Marketplace is so cluttered with useless Apps.
- No one will download an App to donate to you. For donations, an App can be a barrier.
- Phones are getting more and more sophisticated on a daily basis. Many smartphones can render a web page exactly the way it looks in a browser.
- Leverage the work you've done already on your website by making it more mobile friendly.
- Unless your App provides some real value, no one will download it. Getting news and updates from your organization is not real value.
This is not to say that App creation should be abandoned but think creatively and develop an App that people (even ones that are not in your database already) will want to download.